Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Creepy, Crawly

Everyone who knows me has had to deal with my quasi-extreme hypochondria. I'm like the medical student who diagnoses himself with every disease he learns about, only I do it perpetually. In any case, either because my hypochondria causes a good amount of paranoia, or maybe I also am paranoid (I'd rather not have two neuroses, so I like to think my hypochondria kind of bleeds to affect other perceptions...), I have a tendency to come up with bizaare scenarios in my mind.

For example, my new paranoia is that my bungalow room (not necessarily the whole bungalow) in England will be haunted. My ghost encounter aside, I've always been terrified of the supernatural. My best friend growing up had parents who either loved ghosts, or loved to terrify me, because it seemed as though every time I went over they would be watching Poltergeist. Murderers, rapists, tax evaders--fine. Ghosts? I'm over the moon terrified.

And England, as Eddie Izzard so aptly put, is where the history comes from. Therefore, everything there is old. Including dorm buildings? They must be. Although that brings up another question, why do we assume that all ghosts are from the 1700/1800s? Can't there be new ghouls?

Either way, as long as I don't know for sure that the rooms are supposed to be haunted, I should be fine. My imagination will run wild, yes, but as long as my fear isn't confirmed, I should be able to sleep through the night in my room.

Alternately, it looks like they have some pretty comfortable couches in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment